Graduate Trading & Market Analyst (Trade)
Head of Trade (Mentored by Book Manager)
Main Purpose of Job
The role will sit within the trading team and you will be in the midst of exciting commercial activities with the aim to improve Argent’s day-to-day decision making for procuring feedstock globally and selling biodiesel. Your role will be to support trade activities, perform risk analysis, prepare feedstock market analysis & report on global trade flows and lead improvement projects.
To guarantee early career growth & development we ensure that the Graduate will have mixed responsibility of both day-to-day support activities as well as taking on real responsibility for meaningful projects. This will allow a steep learning curve to get a deep understanding of the biofuel industry whilst being accountability for delivering results. As part of our 2-year Graduate Program you will rotate through various roles and departments over time and new roles and rotations will be assessed pending your development and capabilities.
Previous experience is not necessarily required as full training will be given however the person needs to be ready to learn and become integrated with a strong Trade team.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support day to day work as well as taking on relevant projects within the Trade team.
- Undertaking price analysis to assist in developing and executing trade strategies.
- Undertake market analysis (supply and demand, global crack spreads, margins).
- Risk management and market monitoring.
- Dealing with shipping team, other trading desks as instructed by traders.
- Dealing with counterparties as instructed by traders.
- Adherence to internal company policies and procedures, ensuring that appropriate records are maintained for internal and external compliance inspections, planning analysis and audit processes.
- Performing daily validation activities of relevant price and market information (spot/forward), making sure all relevant.
- Understand and record trades in the ERP system (Oracle).
- Lead and take responsibility for trade and/or supply chain projects.
- Supporting automation efforts by driving greater use of systems within the Trade Control team, eliminating manual spread sheets and fully support the implementation of relevant controls directly into the trade capture systems.
- Acting as dedicated Trade team interface with confirmation/ contracts/ operations Department.
- Building good working relationship with internal and relevant external stakeholders.
- Dealing with ad hoc demands.
- Maintaining a good understanding of European sustainability requirements and market developments
- Providing insight and support to the development of the long-term biodiesel products trading strategy for Argent.
- Focal point for operational aspects of the Biodiesel market and provide traders and operators direction on commercial impacts of market developments and hourly balancing system penalties and exposures.
- Work closely with Argent’s other sites to improve processes, share knowledge and provide support where necessary. This will require occasional site visits in the UK/Netherlands.
Health and Safety
- Ensure a thorough knowledge of your Health & Safety responsibilities.
- Support and promote Argents management of change and permit to work systems.
- Always wear Personal Protective Equipment as required. Take responsibility for your own PPE ensuring appropriate storage and care.
- Always strive to work in a manner safe to yourself and others and report any hazards immediately.
- Ensure all staff and visitors operates in compliance with Safety regulations.
- Actively participate in addressing Safety, Health and Environmental issues affecting the production areas, ensuring the relevant S, H&E checks are carried out.
- Full knowledge of the Plant Emergency Procedures and associated responses are required.
- Take responsibility for the Health and Safety of yourself and others whilst at work and to comply with the Company’s policies and legislation
- Support Company Initiatives and demonstrate Company Values.
- To comply with all legal, regulatory and statutory obligations applicable to the role.
- Participate in training and personal development activities as required
- Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to your role; Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the Company.
Qualifications/ Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Minimum Degree in relevant discipline
- Commercially astute
- Growth mindset with a drive to learn and develop
- Drive, innovation and genuine interest in biofuel/commodity trading
- Understanding of trading concepts
- Previous experience working in trading environment
- Exceptional planning and organisational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Expertise in problem solving
- Good team work ethic
- Evidence of self-motivation, an ability to use your own initiative and attention to detail is essential
- Proficiency in the English and Dutch languages
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business
- Flexibility & a willingness to travel (rotations in NL and/or UK)
- Advanced Excel and proficient in MS Office -Word/PowerPoint.